Copycats.....killing the aloha spirit!!

English and spanish spoken - Se habla espanol y ingles

Modérateurs: manutzh, thomas, Ad, matalsurfing

Copycats.....killing the aloha spirit!!

Messagede kustom » 24/06/2009 09:45

Because Sean is a friend of mine, I have to share my story, here also with you guys. I hope it open the eyes...
I posted it on my blog
www.hot-trips.blogspot.com

Today we found a thread on a SUP-forum that pissed us off. Off course all of us think surfing, windsurfing and all related sports are all about the aloha spirit. We are all one big family. But apparently every family has a few rotten apples.

A few posts ago I already wrote that Stand Up Paddling isn't really my thing. Standing on top of one of those boards with a big paddle in your hand is already quite a challenge. I just prefer to get my forward motion and my balance from a sail instead of a paddle. But looking at pioneers of Stand Up Paddling, like Laird Hamilton, Dave Kalama and Sean Ordonez, in double overhead waves deserves a lot of respect. These guys aren't just Stand Up Paddlers, they are real watermen.

Sean is not only a waterman, he is also a very very very good shaper. He shapes for all kinds of watermen and women. Windsurfboards, surfboards, tow-in boards and SUP's for guys like Kevin Prittchard, Kai Lenny, his WQS surfer girl Paige and a few awesome guys that paddle into jaws. We consider him the best shaper and defenitily the most allround shaper.

Besides all this we got to know Sean as a very passionate shaper. Trying to push the sports further. A real inspiration. It is a joy talking with him about surfing, shaping and lots of other stuff. We consider him, Paige and their dog Mocha dear friends, that's why the thread we found today really pissed us off. Honest guys like Sean and Joe Blair with the ultimate aloha spirit got screwed over by some money horny jackass called Jeremy Fry. For the inovative shaper Sean is, this wasn't the first time...... Let's at least hope it will be the last time!!!!

read the store here:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=3939.0

When I read the whole storie the first time .... I felt almost from my chair. My blood started to boil etc.... Yup.. I became pissed. A friend got screwd again!
Then I looked at the data etc, It played in the time we where overthere. Sean told me that he stopped with the sup... but never really why...

Sean, if you just told me what played...

Now I realize me even more how happy I'm with my new boards-all the contact we had -the true spirits we shared on maui.
I've Sean seen working on his boards... it's almost love. Yup love for foam, resins and of course the ocean. I bet it continues forever.
Real watermen got warm hearts and just surf between the rotten apples.

This story made me even stronger realize why I choose to ride the SOSboards.

david
kustom
Aime l'océan
Aime 

l'océan

Messagede poudalTeam » 24/06/2009 10:33

j'ai rien compris
poudalTeam
Serial posteur
Serial posteur

Messagede jeff » 24/06/2009 10:41

un gus a hawai c'est amusé a copier les shapes de sean ordonez et a inonder le marcher avec des planches fabriquées pas cher, ce qui a planté le business de sean. :angry:
jeff
Serial posteur
Serial posteur

Messagede loic2707 » 24/06/2009 10:42

Si j'ai bien compris, il s'agit d'une histoire de copie de shape de SUP de Sean O. par un type ( Jeremy), ce qui porte bien sûr préjudice. A un moment ou un autre, de ttes façons quelqu'un qui innove se fait copier par d'autres, quelque soit le domaine. Ce que je ne saisi pas bien, c'est pourquoi il n'y a pas de poursuites en justice ? à moins que la copie ne soit juste assez pas conforme ( si j'ai bien compris, toujours, il y a 50/80 cm de rail différent )...
Bref, la solution bis, à mon sens est de boycotter les planche du copieur ( et pour ceux qui ont des idées, ne pas les ébruiter)
www.anavelvor.fr -- les photos de vos sessions.
loic2707
Serial posteur
Serial posteur

Messagede ouam » 24/06/2009 10:51

Je crois qu'il y a deja du boycott en cours, la marque qui copie n'est plus autorisé à faire de pub dans standupjournal (un mag de reférence pour le SUP)
ouam
Aime l'océan
Aime 

l'océan

Messagede kustom » 24/06/2009 11:33

I can't read french that well ;-)

but I asume that you also think it's a dirty game.
Think It's also good to post it here so that everybody get an idea of how it sometimes goes...
Why Sean isn't that much in the spotlight anymore etc.. He just choose to do his own thing... The thing that he loves. Creating "watertools" for the ones that share the same passion as himself.. The Ocean
kustom
Aime l'océan
Aime 

l'océan

Messagede Lomic » 24/06/2009 11:45

kustom a écrit:Creating "watertools" for the ones that share the same passion as himself.. The Ocean
speaking about watertools, feel free to tell us the next time you will be in Crozon, I really would like to see your SOS customs they look great!
Lomic
Serial posteur
Serial posteur

Messagede kustom » 24/06/2009 11:59

you're welcome to try them also ;-)

There go stories in the village that I sail as much in Crozon as the locals do :bigups:
Bzh know.. hahahha
kustom
Aime l'océan
Aime 

l'océan

Messagede Lomic » 24/06/2009 12:36

kustom a écrit:you're welcome to try them also ;-)
one day when i would have the skill, with great plaisure, for the moment I will satisfy myself to test them with my eyes only :grin: but thanks for this nice proposal
Lomic
Serial posteur
Serial posteur

Messagede loic2707 » 24/06/2009 13:27

I take note of your proposition too :grin: maybe the way for you to try my black weapon for light winds ;)
To come back on the subject, it seems i've well understood and translate.
Bad thing and way of thinking to copy others :evil:
www.anavelvor.fr -- les photos de vos sessions.
loic2707
Serial posteur
Serial posteur

Messagede paquitomicorazon » 24/06/2009 13:43

j'ai uniquement lu le post de John Blair et pas ceux qui ont suivi.

Je suis frappé par la résignation de sean ordenez et la clarté de ses propos. ce jeremy fry est une belle ordure. je lirai l'intégralité du post ce soir. En tous cas, merci pour avoir relayé l'info Kustom
paquitomicorazon
Serial posteur
Serial posteur

Retourner vers International Area